Noun(1) a thoroughfare (usually including sidewalks(2) the part of a thoroughfare between the sidewalks; the part of the thoroughfare on which vehicles travel(3) the streets of a city viewed as a depressed environment in which there is poverty and crime and prostitution and dereliction(4) a situation offering opportunities(5) people living or working on the same street
(1) The dangerous spirit of street performing informs the whole show.(2) Wenner is a performing visual artist who turns the celebratory folk art of street painting into a performance art spectacle.(3) His car looked out of place and his use of urban street lingo was confusing.(4) street style(5) Roaming bands of homeless street children engaged in petty crime are now common in Argentine cities.(6) It captures city life with a deliberately gritty touch, showing the lives of street vendors, street kids, and farmers.(7) the main shopping street(8) The subject is not identified, except by street culture icons, such as his bike and leathers.(9) The group mixes and layers cultures and styles that range from street dance to martial arts.(10) But they don't exist as far as popular black street culture or white liberals are concerned.(11) He had long hair, wild eyes and the look of a street kid.(12) in the street(13) every week, fans stop me in the street(14) We met for the first time in Zimbabwe, where I was working among AIDS-infected people and street children.(15) He spoke to me as a homeless street kid, and he continues to do so.(16) Besides, the joke, to many, seemed more at the expense of his middle-class white victims than black street culture.
(1) the street :: die straat
(2) across the street :: oorkant die straat
(3) on the street :: op die straat
(4) main street :: hoofstraat
(5) in the street :: in die straat
(6) down the street :: af in die straat
(7) street address :: straatadres
(8) cross the street :: steek die straat
(9) high street :: hoë straat
(10) one way street :: eenrigting straat
1. road ::
2. thoroughfare ::
3. avenue ::
4. drive ::
5. crescent ::
6. boulevard ::
8. lane ::
9. highway ::
street, streets, streetwise
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
It's Second Street.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 5
I have to go to the gas station
across the STREET.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 21
...and hightail it across the STREET to Disneyland
just in time for Mickey's Soundsational Parade.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 3
The STREET has no rules.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 12
Should have known to come
straight to the Street of Steel.
Game of Thrones Season 7, Episode 5
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: street
Meaning and definitions of street, translation in Afrikaans language for street with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of street in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "street"
What street means in Afrikaans, street meaning in Afrikaans, street definition, examples and pronunciation of street in Afrikaans language.