Noun(1) (sports(2) the maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam(3) a sudden loss of consciousness resulting when the rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel leads to oxygen lack in the brain(4) a light touch(5) a light touch with the hands(6) (golf(7) the oarsman nearest the stern of the shell who sets the pace for the rest of the crew(8) anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause(9) a punctuation mark (/(10) a mark made on a surface by a pen, pencil, or paintbrush(11) any one of the repeated movements of the limbs and body used for locomotion in swimming or rowing(12) a single complete movement
Verb(1) touch lightly and repeatedly, as with brushing motions(2) strike a ball with a smooth blow(3) row at a particular rate(4) treat gingerly or carefully
(1) The U.S. medical record says only he suffered heat stroke which led to the coma.(2) Every gesture, every stroke , every movement should be accepted by the system, with nuanced response.(3) But just recently I found the diary I kept for the first year after the stroke and read the whole thing.(4) at the stroke of midnight(5) Any swimming stroke will help improve your stride, but the butterfly translates best to cross-country skiing.(6) Toussaint was illiterate, could not swim a stroke , nor could he operate a boat.(7) he has a lovely stroke(8) he was left disabled by a stroke(9) He forced the Maritzburg goalkeeper, Ryan Gary, to lie on the ball, conceding a penalty stroke .(10) Shogun Lodge, his sword in one hand, countered the stroke of the heavy iron sword with an upward movement.(11) by a stroke of good fortune(12) the rowers sing to keep their stroke(13) front crawl is a popular stroke(14) First, it is the most difficult stroke to swim correctly because it is based on tempo and rhythm.(15) Slavery and feudalism were in the end abolished, with a stroke of the pen followed if necessary by a stroke of the sword.(16) The more efficient your stroke , the less energy you expend to swim any distance.
(1) heat stroke :: sonsteek
(2) stroke volume :: slagvolume
(3) heart stroke :: hart beroerte
(4) stroke of luck :: gelukskoot
(5) power stroke :: kragslag
(6) bore and stroke :: boor en slag
(7) piston stroke :: suier beroerte
(8) breast stroke :: borsslag
(9) stroke of genius :: geniale
(10) death stroke :: dood beroerte
1. blow ::
2. shot ::
3. movement ::
4. feat ::
5. mark ::
6. detail ::
7. thrombosis ::
8. apoplexy ::
10. diagonal ::
11. fortuity ::
12. throw ::
13. caress ::
stroke, stroked, strokes, stroking
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Now pivot as you deliver the STROKE.
Put all your weight behind it.
Game of Thrones Season 1, Episode 4
I'm sorry, what was that?
I had a little STROKE after "oral."
The Big Bang Theory Season 6, Episode 8
With a single STROKE, you'd make me
one of the greatest lords in the realm.
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 3
Well, there's no sign
of STROKE or seizure.
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 3
Are you making these up
or having a STROKE?
The Big Bang Theory Season 11, Episode 16
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: stroke
Meaning and definitions of stroke, translation in Afrikaans language for stroke with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of stroke in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "stroke"
What stroke means in Afrikaans, stroke meaning in Afrikaans, stroke definition, examples and pronunciation of stroke in Afrikaans language.