Noun(1) an implement consisting of a length of wood(2) a small thin branch of a tree(3) a lever used by a pilot to control the ailerons and elevators of an airplane(4) a rectangular quarter pound block of butter or margarine(5) informal terms for the leg(6) a long implement (usually made of wood(7) a long thin implement resembling a length of wood(8) marijuana leaves rolled into a cigarette for smoking(9) threat of a penalty
Verb(1) put, fix, force, or implant(2) stay put (in a certain place(3) stick to firmly(4) be or become fixed(5) endure(6) be a devoted follower or supporter(7) be loyal to(8) cover and decorate with objects that pierce the surface(9) fasten with an adhesive material like glue(10) fasten with or as with pins or nails(11) fasten into place by fixing an end or point into something(12) pierce with a thrust using a pointed instrument(13) pierce or penetrate or puncture with something pointed(14) come or be in close contact with; stick or hold together and resist separation(15) saddle with something disagreeable or disadvantageous(16) be a mystery or bewildering to
(1) City councillors take a lot of stick over their transport policy.(2) Then, as the circle of guards got tighter, she realized there was a six-foot long, wood stick lying on the ground, halfway buried in the dirt.(3) You must have got some stick from team-mates during your playing days?(4) the authorities couldn't make the charges stick(5) Nobody should be hit in the head with a puck coming off the stick of someone at 100 + mph without a helmet.(6) If history is any guide a lot of this diplomacy was doubtless clumsily done, in alternations between proffers of carrots and threats of the stick .(7) Imagine being able to land a jumbo jet without ever taking control of the stick .(8) Finally you are putting into this mix a whole stick of reduction butter.(9) Despite lengthy investigations, neither charge was made to stick , although he was reproached by the chairmen of both inquiries.(10) I felt the urge to stick my tongue out behind their backs but I stopped myself.(11) just stick that sandwich on my desk(12) If car makers don't agree to move quickly, Kerry could pull out the stick : the threat of higher fuel-economy standards.(13) The charges against him won't stick , but the chilling effect it will have on other researchers will.(14) stick the balls of wool on knitting needles(15) They stood it upright with the help of some remnant pieces of wood, took a stick from the bonfire and lit the fuse before standing back and covering their ears.(16) I hesitated only long enough to grab an incense stick and lighter, and was outside in a minute.
(1) walking stick :: kierie
(2) stick to :: bly by
(3) stick out :: steek uit
(4) memory stick :: geheue stokkie
(5) stick around :: stok rond
(6) stick together :: hou saam
(7) stick with :: hou met
(8) to stick :: om vas te hou
(9) cinnamon stick :: kaneelstokkie
1. piece of wood ::
2. walking stick ::
3. cane ::
4. club ::
5. reefer ::
6. peg ::
7. joystick ::
8. thrust ::
9. pierce ::
10. adhere ::
11. affix ::
12. become trapped ::
13. remain ::
14. be upheld ::
16. nonplus ::
17. lodge ::
18. stick by ::
19. bond ::
20. sting ::
21. stick around ::
nonstick, stick, stickily, sticking, sticks
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
No, I'll STICK with orange, thank you.
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 4
STICK this on it.
Breaking Bad Season 4, Episode 8
The STICK chair.
You look like an idiot on that thing.
The Big Bang Theory Season 9, Episode 23
Or maybe you have a STICK
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 12
and Sheldon gave me money
for Hot Dog on a Stick.
The Big Bang Theory Season 9, Episode 23
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: stick
Meaning and definitions of stick, translation in Afrikaans language for stick with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of stick in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "stick"
What stick means in Afrikaans, stick meaning in Afrikaans, stick definition, examples and pronunciation of stick in Afrikaans language.