Noun(1) the part of a gunlock that strikes the percussion cap when the trigger is pulled(2) a hand tool with a heavy rigid head and a handle; used to deliver an impulsive force by striking(3) the ossicle attached to the eardrum(4) a light drumstick with a rounded head that is used to strike such percussion instruments as chimes, kettledrums, marimbas, glockenspiels, etc.(5) a heavy metal sphere attached to a flexible wire; used in the hammer throw(6) a striker that is covered in felt and that causes the piano strings to vibrate(7) a power tool for drilling rocks(8) the act of pounding (delivering repeated heavy blows
Verb(1) beat with or as if with a hammer(2) create by hammering
(1) they must hammer away at these twin themes day after day(2) Most of the project requires basic wood-working tools - a circular saw, a saber saw, an electric drill, a hammer , and a nail set.(3) If all you have in your home is a broken screwdriver, a hammer without a handle, and one wrench you hope will happen to fit whatever bolt you encounter, you need some help.(4) Then pull out the nails with a hammer or locking pliers.(5) Worrall's book is a warning to anyone lured by the auctioneer's hammer .(6) Aidan Kelly scored top points when finishing in 1st place in the hammer with a throw of 36.24.(7) This slim fast-talking man is a whiz with an auction hammer .(8) In the under-17 events, James Nagle won gold in the hammer and shot putt contests.(9) Before you hit your sales reps with a lot of questions or break out the hammer and nails to begin building displays, do an assessment of your shop.(10) In addition to Mike's skill and knowledge on the golf course, he's pretty handy with a hammer and nails and has quite a selection of tools in the garage.(11) Use a ball-peen hammer or a block of wood and a nail hammer to knock the tool head out of the ferule on the handle.(12) Health professionals are mobilising to condemn the government, propose major structural reforms, and hammer the ineffectual minister.(13) Use a hammer and nail set to drive them below the surface.(14) The drum vibrates with the sound and rattles three small bones: the hammer , anvil and stirrup.(15) We are very strong here in Sligo on the track, but quite weak in some field events such as pole vault, high jump and hammer .(16) For Skyrac AC Nicola Jackson threw the hammer 39.22m for sixth place.
(1) hammer on :: hamer op
(2) hammer out :: hamer uit
(3) hammer throw :: hamergooi
(4) hammer drill :: hamer boor
(5) reflex hammer :: refleks hamer
(6) water hammer :: water hamer
(7) hammer down :: hamer af
(8) steam hammer :: stoom hamer
1. mallet ::
3. power hammer ::
4. malleus ::
5. cock ::
6. beat ::
7. batter ::
8. work hard at ::
werk hard aan
9. drum into ::
10. forge ::
hammer, hammered, hammerer, hammerers, hammering, hammerings, hammers
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Put down your HAMMER.
Vikings Season 1, Episode 2
Agreed. When he gets home,
I'm dropping the HAMMER.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 24
I knocked him down with the HAMMER.
Game of Thrones Season 1, Episode 3
- Get the HAMMER! Get the HAMMER!
- Got it!
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 7
Hail to Odin's spear,
Vikings Season 1, Episode 8
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: hammer
Meaning and definitions of hammer, translation in Afrikaans language for hammer with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of hammer in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "hammer"
What hammer means in Afrikaans, hammer meaning in Afrikaans, hammer definition, examples and pronunciation of hammer in Afrikaans language.