Noun(1) a reformer who opposes the use of intoxicating beverages
Verb(1) remove the moisture from and make dry(2) become dry or drier
Adjective(1) free from liquid or moisture; lacking natural or normal moisture or depleted of water; or no longer wet(2) humorously sarcastic or mocking(3) lacking moisture or volatile components(4) opposed to or prohibiting the production and sale of alcoholic beverages(5) not producing milk(6) (of liquor(7) without a mucous or watery discharge(8) not shedding tears(9) lacking interest or stimulation; dull and lifeless(10) used of solid substances in contrast with liquid ones(11) unproductive especially of the expected results(12) having no adornment or coloration(13) (of food(14) having a large proportion of strong liquor(15) lacking warmth or emotional involvement(16) practicing complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages
(1) Hughes also notes that the aquifer runs beneath two dry lakes in the area, Cadiz and Bristol.(2) It consisted of water and dry bread, and had to be eaten silently - and quickly, as the time permitted for breakfast was only 15 minutes.(3) The drought belt of Africa has had almost two decades of exceptionally dry weather.(4) Chances are quite good that lunch on any given weekday was a hamburger patty and cheese on plain, dry bread served with fries.(5) If you have other telltale symptoms, such as brittle hair and nails, dry skin and a tendency to feel cold, definitely get checked out.(6) Windows started falling out of the hotels before the paint was dry .(7) If blistering does occur, allow the paint to dry for a few days.(8) The dry , silent male mourning seemed much worse than the noisy grief of the women.(9) Since there is less moisture in the air, the skin can become very dry and dehydrated, as it fails to replenish the moisture that is exuded naturally into the air.(10) If your hair is very dry , damaged or chemically treated, treat yourself to a deep conditioning once a week.(11) Grandiosity, rigidity, and intolerance of ambiguity, and a tendency to obsess about things are among the traits associated with the dry drunk.(12) Add to that the invention, intelligence and dry wit this title contains, and it deserves to top the charts.(13) The combination of dry bread and endless cheese leads to the diner having to chew away at the food for, oh, several hours.(14) She managed to stay mostly dry , but the cuffs of her pants were damp.(15) If your problem is dry hair, first massage coconut or olive into your scalp.(16) Subtle jokes and dry humour set up some nice character development, backed by worthy acting.
(1) dry up :: opdroog
(2) dry cleaner :: droogskoonmaker
(3) dry skin :: droë vel
(4) to dry :: om droog te maak
(5) dry season :: droë seisoen
(6) dry out :: uitdroog
(7) dry ice :: droë ys
(8) high and dry :: hoog en droog
1. arid ::
2. parched ::
3. hard ::
4. waterless ::
5. thirsty ::
6. unbuttered ::
7. bare ::
8. dull ::
9. wry ::
10. unemotional ::
11. teetotal ::
geheel onthou ders
12. crisp ::
14. parch ::
15. dehydrate ::
16. towel ::
17. wipe ::
18. desiccate ::
19. dry out ::
20. prohibitionist ::
1. damp ::
2. dank ::
3. humid ::
4. moist ::
5. wet ::
dries, droid, droids, dry, dryer, dryers, drying, dryly, dryness, drys
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
It must be because you left there
the apples to DRY.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 10
The DRY mouth, the shortness of breath....
You have to try to calm down. Breathe in.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 1
...sneeze my hands DRY.
The Big Bang Theory Season 2, Episode 4
One of them goes
to my DRY cleaner.
The Big Bang Theory Season 11, Episode 11
until the rivers run DRY
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 10
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: dry
Meaning and definitions of dry, translation in Afrikaans language for dry with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of dry in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "dry"
What dry means in Afrikaans, dry meaning in Afrikaans, dry definition, examples and pronunciation of dry in Afrikaans language.