Noun(1) (psychiatry(2) (sports(3) the defendant and his legal advisors collectively(4) an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack(5) the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions(6) the justification for some act or belief(7) a structure used to defend against attack(8) a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him(9) (military(10) protection from harm(11) the act of defending someone or something against attack or injury
(1) he made a strong defence of his policy(2) The defendant has entered a substantive defence pleading justification and qualified privilege.(3) In woody plants, carbon-based chemical compounds such as phenolics and terpenes comprise the main chemical defence .(4) Advocate Amin Solkar and Advocate Saeed Azami are the defence counsels in the case.(5) As in America, the citizens' militia was an integral part of a patriot ideology that extolled the right of a free people to bear arms in defence of liberty.(6) she came to the defence of the eccentric professor(7) It is clear law that in any context in which consent of the injured party is a defence to what would otherwise be a crime or a civil wrong, the consent must be real.(8) The magistrates agreed to the defence counsel's application for the defendants' costs to be taxed and paid out of central funds.(9) I usually play in defence(10) All they were doing was acting in their own defence and in defence of each other.(11) In its defence the Third Party has admitted liability by the defendant but denies any obligation for contribution or indemnity.(12) The main defence against them is protective clothing - gas masks and special suits made of rubber or treated synthetic cloth.(13) The fact is that it is not for the defence to have to request the prosecution to serve its evidence.(14) Stam played, and against a modest team United's defence conceded two goals.(15) Good goal keeping and a solid defence prevented Oakworth getting an equaliser.(16) The home-crowd advantage should lead the Canadian women to a successful defence of the title.
(1) self-defense :: selfverdediging
(2) defense attorney :: prokureur vir die verdediging
(3) defense mechanism :: verdedigingsmeganisme
(4) civil defense :: burgerlike verdediging
(5) defense lawyer :: prokureur
(6) national defense :: nasionale verdediging
(7) air defense :: lug verdediging
(8) defense in depth :: verdediging in diepte
(9) secretary of defense :: sekretaris van verdediging
(10) defense budget :: verdedigingsbegroting
1. protection ::
2. barricade ::
3. vindication ::
5. refutation ::
6. department of defense ::
departement van verdediging
7. denial ::
8. defence mechanism ::
9. defensive measure ::
defence, defenced, defenceless, defences
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
And when I spoke in the king's DEFENCE,
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 6
- Have you nothing to say in your DEFENCE?
- Nothing but this...
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 6
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: defence
Meaning and definitions of defence, translation in Afrikaans language for defence with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken
pronunciation of defence in Afrikaans and in English
Tags for the entry "defence"
What defence means in Afrikaans, defence meaning
in Afrikaans, defence definition, examples and pronunciation
of defence in Afrikaans language.