(1) It is a seed of hope within what you rightly describe as a society based upon violence.(2) I will have to travel a distance to make it there and do not want to find it closed upon arrival.(3) a school's dependence upon parental support(4) They look upon him as a political sage, a voice of freedom, a speaker of truth to power.(5) he fell down upon his knees(6) Part of the city and a theme park will be built upon artificial islands on the lake.(7) She had a core of inner strength and she could be relied upon if you really needed help or you were in a mess.(8) upon the whole(9) It also drew upon his undoubted gifts as a poet and his intuitive genius as an historian.(10) Easter is almost upon us and with it will come the full blast of the tourist trade.(11) I take it upon myself to guide her there, and follow the signs until we reach a doorway.(12) upon her hearing of his illness(13) have mercy upon me(14) it was based upon two principles(15) upon request(16) It's a radio show that's been going for year upon year but very few people listen to it.
(1) once upon a time :: eendag
(2) upon request :: Op versoek
(3) call upon :: roep
(4) upon arrival :: by aankoms
(5) come upon :: ontdek
(6) look upon :: kyk na
(7) based upon :: gebaseer op
(8) look down upon :: neersien op
(9) rely upon :: maak staat op
1. on ::
2. over ::
3. upon ::
4. up ::
5. above ::
6. atop ::
7. upstairs ::
8. a stone's throw ::
9. in the vicnity of ::
in die vicnity van
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
A chair for a King to sit UPON,
Game of Thrones Season 1, Episode 7
The Lord has smiled UPON me.
Game of Thrones Season 3, Episode 6
They should know whom to blame
when the sky falls down UPON them.
Game of Thrones Season 8, Episode 4
"And I declare UPON the honor of
my house that my beloved brother Robert..."
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 1
The heat of battle is UPON us.
The dogs of war are unleashed.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 6
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: upon
Meaning and definitions of upon, translation in Afrikaans language for upon with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of upon in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "upon"
What upon means in Afrikaans, upon meaning in Afrikaans, upon definition, examples and pronunciation of upon in Afrikaans language.