Noun(1) tough elastic tissue; mostly converted to bone in adults
(1) The ends of the bones have a smooth covering called the articular cartilage .(2) The shape of the nose is defined by shadows as the skin moves over cartilage and bone.(3) Often, the pain is the result of an injury such as a ruptured ligament or torn cartilage .(4) Here the two bones contact each other directly with no intervening space for articular cartilage .(5) One third is found in the muscles and the rest in the bones, skin, cartilage and especially the blood.(6) The human body has a dynamic framework of bone and cartilage called the skeleton.(7) The loose bodies may remain free in the joint space and grow via layering of cartilage and bone.(8) Deeper in the airway wall there is cartilage and smooth muscle.(9) The inflamed joint lining, the synovium, can invade and damage bone and cartilage .(10) Articular cartilage is vulnerable to injury and has poor potential for repair so damage can lead to arthritis many years after injury.(11) Alternatively the ligaments may become loose, so that the disc of cartilage no longer stays between the jaw bone and the skull when the joint is moved.(12) Normally, the ball moves smoothly in its socket on a lining of shock-absorbing cartilage .(13) cartilage injury(14) An imbalance of growth factors affecting the cartilage and underlying bone may also contribute.(15) This involves taking a piece of cartilage from elsewhere in your body and putting it in your knee, to replace the damaged cartilage .(16) Once injured, articular cartilage doesn't heal well, or typically at all on its own.
(1) articular cartilage :: artikulêre kraakbeen
(2) hyaline cartilage :: hialiene kraakbeen
(3) thyroid cartilage :: tiroïedkraakbeen
(4) costal cartilage :: kus kraakbeen
(5) cricoid cartilage :: cricoid kraakbeen
1. gristle ::
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: cartilage
Meaning and definitions of cartilage, translation in Afrikaans language for cartilage with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of cartilage in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "cartilage"
What cartilage means in Afrikaans, cartilage meaning in Afrikaans, cartilage definition, examples and pronunciation of cartilage in Afrikaans language.