Noun(1) the first or highest in an ordering or series(2) the first element in a countable series(3) the time at which something is supposed to begin(4) the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate(5) an honours degree of the highest class(6) the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
Adjective(1) preceding all others in time or space or degree(2) indicating the beginning unit in a series(3) serving to set in motion, or maiden(4) serving to begin(5) ranking above all others(6) highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections
Adverb(1) before anything else(2) the initial time(3) before another in time, space, or importance(4) prominently forward
(1) One of its first orders is to set up special tribunals to try members of the former regime.(2) Monday, the first of August(3) For the first time ever, local people have been given a forum to express their views.(4) I am now discovering the merits of a leisurely breakfast for the first time ever.(5) after the first live programme(6) If anything is to be learned from the whole sorry affair, it is that the child must come first .(7) There is no life story without fiction, but the story, your life, should come first .(8) she contacted me first thing(9) I am a driver myself and I know how difficult it is to park in these streets but surely lives must come first .(10) Sumire sighed, used to the routine she had undergone all during first through eighth grade.(11) The aims and compass of this edition have not changed from those of the first .(12) I don't have the first idea what happened(13) ladies first(14) feet first(15) Schoeman ranked first in the world last year in the 50 meter long course.(16) He is the first to admit, however, that this is more an act of God rather than a life plan.
(1) first name :: eerste naam
(2) first of all :: eerstens
(3) at first :: eers
(4) first aid :: eerstehulp
(5) first time :: eerste keer
(6) the first :: die eerste
(7) love at first sight :: liefde met die eerste oogopslag
(8) first floor :: eerste vloer
(9) first aid kit :: eerste stel hulp
2. fundamental ::
3. foremost ::
4. top ::
5. beginning ::
6. maiden ::
7. world-class ::
8. at first ::
9. before anything else ::
voordat enige iets anders
10. in preference ::
11. first off ::
12. foremost ::
13. for the first time ::
vir die eerste keer
14. novelty ::
15. start ::
16. first gear ::
18. first base ::
die eerste bof
1. final ::
2. last ::
3. latter ::
4. terminal ::
5. ultimate ::
first, firstly, firsts
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
That's where I got the FIRST slap.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 4
Heard you the FIRST time.
The Big Bang Theory Season 6, Episode 18
Yeah, it was FIRST come, FIRST serve.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 1
"Penny, just as Oppenheimer came to regret
his contributions to the FIRST atomic bomb...
The Big Bang Theory Season 1, Episode 2
...the FIRST pitch will be thrown out
by NASA astronaut Howard Wolowitz.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 3
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: first
Meaning and definitions of first, translation in Afrikaans language for first with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of first in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "first"
What first means in Afrikaans, first meaning in Afrikaans, first definition, examples and pronunciation of first in Afrikaans language.