Noun(1) a period of time containing 365 (or 366(2) a period of time occupying a regular part of a calendar year that is used for some particular activity(3) the period of time that it takes for a planet (as, e.g., Earth or Mars(4) a body of students who graduate together
(1) One of his tutors at Cambridge described him as a very good student but certainly not the top student in his year .(2) in the year 1991(3) a year later(4) we'll be there for a year(5) he's the youngest in his year(6) she's in the second year of the degree(7) she spent a year there(8) the Muslim year(9) it's a year late(10) Calendar dates of events vary slightly because there is not an exact number of solar days in a year .(11) in the year of our Lord 1979(12) The Claimant is a final year student at the Chelsea College of Article.(13) We have made it compulsory for the first year students to attend classes twice a week in the lab.(14) In essence the year is split into four equal seasons, each lasting 91 days plus a bit.(15) they're paid by the year(16) it's almost a year since his heart attack
(1) last year :: laas jaar
(2) next year :: volgende jaar
(3) this year :: hierdie jaar
(4) every year :: elke jaar
(5) year of birth :: jaar van geboorte
(6) leap year :: skrikkeljaar
(7) fiscal year :: fiskale jaar
(8) per year :: per jaar
1. twelve-month period ::
tydperk van twaalf maande
2. class ::
3. twelvemonth ::
oor 'n jaar
year, yearlies, yearly, years
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Why buy a starter house when we'll
have to move out in a YEAR or two?
Breaking Bad Season 3, Episode 13
Once a YEAR.
It's a deal I made with my mother...
The Big Bang Theory Season 4, Episode 1
Uh, we split up,
about a YEAR ago.
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 7
This YEAR, they're calling it off
on account of my brother's trial.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 4
We are really finishing
this YEAR strong.
The Big Bang Theory Season 11, Episode 10
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: year
Meaning and definitions of year, translation in Afrikaans language for year with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of year in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "year"
What year means in Afrikaans, year meaning in Afrikaans, year definition, examples and pronunciation of year in Afrikaans language.