Adjective(1) located below or beneath something else(2) lower in rank, power, or authority
Adverb(1) down to defeat, death, or ruin(2) through a range downward(3) into unconsciousness(4) in or into a state of subordination or subjugation(5) below some quantity or limit(6) below the horizon(7) down below(8) further down
(1) a river runs under this street(2) They were restrained before being taken under arrest to St Aldate's Police station.(3) He skulked into the room under the pretence of finding himself a drink.(4) He is sure to maintain his heavy role within the offense under new coach Sidney Lowe.(5) It will simply conceal whatever gaps in communication there are under another layer of imprecise language.(6) she travelled under a false name(7) But the boat was sinking fast and when the stern went under , a rush of air pushed four people out of the cabin.(8) we gathered the apples that had fallen under the tree(9) file it under ├ö├ç├┐lost├ö├ç├û(10) If the item is not listed, would it fall under one of the classifications if it were?(11) A great fun night was had by all under the leadership of Quiz master Mr. Peter Guy.(12) In mist or under a covering of snow, however, navigational skills will be tested.(13) Compare and contrast, as Whitlam himself might put it, the same period under Howard.(14) He has posted heavily to the same political newsgroups under his own name.(15) Over the years the green fell into disuse and became gradually hidden under thick layers of leaves.(16) Why waste all that room under the kitchen sink by simply filling it with garbage?
(1) under- :: voor-
(2) under construction :: onder konstruksie
(3) go under :: gaan onder
(4) under pressure :: onder druk
(5) under control :: onder beheer
(6) under the weather :: onder die weer
(7) under oath :: onder eed
(8) under consideration :: onder oorweging
(9) under way :: aan die gang
(10) fall under :: Val onder
(11) under review :: onder oorsig
1. nether ::
2. down ::
3. below ::
4. beneath ::
5. less than ::
6. subordinate to ::
7. flooded by ::
9. subject to ::
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
I cannot let this thing happen to you
UNDER my roof.
Game of Thrones Season 2, Episode 7
Well, she and her brother are both being held
UNDER fair suspicion.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 7
in my closet
UNDER a blanket.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 15
Under arrest warrant.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 1
Under my authority
as a self-appointed member
The Big Bang Theory Season 5, Episode 2
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: under
Meaning and definitions of under, translation in Afrikaans language for under with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of under in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "under"
What under means in Afrikaans, under meaning in Afrikaans, under definition, examples and pronunciation of under in Afrikaans language.