Conjunction(1) introducing the second element in a comparison.(2) used in expressions introducing an exception or contrast.(3) used in expressions indicating one thing happening immediately after another.
(1) No sooner was he seated than Lily sidled closer to him.(2) she does more work than Liam(3) no less a person than the manager(4) He used to get friends to ask girls out for him rather than make the approach himself.(5) He was reviewing books at the rate of more than one a day and writing criticism of a very high order.(6) you're more than welcome(7) we had more than enough(8) We would rather be able to hear than be deaf; we would rather be able to see than be blind.(9) Two walkers came the other way, one said it was better here than London in a heatwave.(10) they observe rather than act(11) he claims not to own anything other than his home(12) hardly had we put the baby down than she started to cry(13) he was much smaller than his son(14) Rather than being told to cut out alcohol, a man might be urged to modify his drinking.(15) Always remember that it is far easier to withhold a service or benefit than to take it away.(16) who did it is more important than why he did it
(1) rather than :: eerder as
(2) more than :: meer as
(3) less than :: minder as
(4) other than :: anders as
(5) better than :: beter as
(6) no more than :: nie meer as
(7) greater than :: groter as
(8) better late than never :: beter laat as nooit
(9) more than that :: meer as dit
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Are you saying that because
I’m 12 years younger THAN you?
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 1
THAN I feel now.
Money Heist Season 1, Episode 12
Ow! Damn. Paper cut.
Nothing worse THAN a paper cut.
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 16
THAN the fools sitting on the Iron Throne
the last hundred years.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 1
THAN out here
where it's open season.
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 13
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: than
Meaning and definitions of than, translation in Afrikaans language for than with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of than in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "than"
What than means in Afrikaans, than meaning in Afrikaans, than definition, examples and pronunciation of than in Afrikaans language.