Noun(1) control consisting of a mechanical or electrical or electronic device for making or breaking or changing the connections in a circuit(2) an event in which one thing is substituted for another(3) hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure(4) railroad track having two movable rails and necessary connections; used to turn a train from one track to another or to store rolling stock(5) a flexible implement used as an instrument of punishment(6) a basketball maneuver; two defensive players shift assignments so that each guards the player usually guarded by the other(7) the act of changing one thing or position for another
Verb(1) change over, change around, as to a new order or sequence(2) exchange or give (something(3) lay aside, abandon, or leave for another(4) make a shift in or exchange of(5) cause to go on or to be engaged or set in operation(6) flog with or as if with a flexible rod(7) reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action
(1) Opinion polls show more than half of Britons are opposed to ditching the pound although an increasing number feel the switch is inevitable.(2) Okay, now switch roles and pretend you are the declarer.(3) The deflection diverted it and Gordon had to switch direction to get a hand to it and palm it away.(4) Had this switch been left aligned for the passing track until the switch at the opposite end of the passing track was opened, a red signal would have been displayed.(5) Despite McKenzie's bullish predictions about take-up, the switch from NT to Windows 2000 is likely to be a gradual one.(6) ├ö├ç├┐A good manager should be able to switch roles at any time,├ö├ç├û he said.(7) He pressed the switch to deactivate the program, then his weapons faded and he opened the door.(8) It is passing a recently constructed switch , which will be installed near MP 31 in Newark, CA.(9) Like most authorities, the lion's share of the increases has been made necessary by a massive switch of the burden of taxation from national to local government.(10) the guard hit a switch and the gate swung open(11) She wanted a whippy switch off a willow tree in the front yard.(12) So a switch to coal would increase the greenhouse gas effect of fossil fuel usage.(13) she's managed to switch careers(14) The next day, they are out on the street corner comparing their presents and neither is happy, so they switch gifts with each other.(15) Remember, if you wish to switch lenders mid-term different exit penalties may apply.(16) In later years private contractors installed the siding while the railway installed the switch .
(1) switch on :: skakel aan
(2) switch off :: skakel af
(3) power switch :: krag skakelaar
(4) light switch :: ligskakelaar
(5) switch to :: oorskakel na
(6) switch over :: oorskakel
(7) ignition switch :: aansitskakelaar
(8) limit switch :: limiet skakelaar
(9) main switch :: hoofskakelaar
(10) toggle switch :: skakel skakelaar
1. button ::
2. change ::
3. branch ::
4. shift ::
5. electric switch ::
6. substitution ::
7. change ::
8. exchange ::
9. alternate ::
10. trade ::
11. shift ::
12. flip ::
13. switch over ::
switch, switchable, switched, switcher, switchers, switches, switching
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
won't let me SWITCH my field of
study to inflationary cosmology.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 24
Just flip the SWITCH until the lights
on the drone change to solid yellow.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 22
Hey, is there a trick
to getting it to SWITCH from tub to shower?
The Big Bang Theory Season 1, Episode 1
A little mercury SWITCH,
Breaking Bad Season 2, Episode 10
The Big Bang Theory Season 11, Episode 17
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: switch
Meaning and definitions of switch, translation in Afrikaans language for switch with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken
pronunciation of switch in Afrikaans and in English
Tags for the entry "switch"
What switch means in Afrikaans, switch meaning
in Afrikaans, switch definition, examples and pronunciation
of switch in Afrikaans language.