Noun(1) the leaf of a conifer(2) a slender pointer for indicating the reading on the scale of a measuring instrument(3) a sharp pointed implement (usually steel(4) a stylus that formerly made sound by following a groove in a phonograph record
Verb(1) annoy or provoke, as by constant criticism(2) prick with a needle
(1) She sat down, smoothed out her dress, threaded the needle , and began.(2) Finally, on her twenty-seventh attempt, she let out a whoop of delight when the black thread slipped smoothly through the needle 's hole.(3) You can't even take a piece of thread or a needle with you.(4) I prefer keeping a needle and thread on hand, just in case.(5) He slowly put down the pen he had in his hand, pulled the needle off the record, and sat down.(6) It's a nice portrait of Strummer the hipster, talking his jive talk and dropping the needle on U Roy records to a worldwide audience.(7) An unexpected sharp vibration can cause the head to crash onto the surface of the disk, gouging it like a phonograph needle can scratch a record.(8) Keenan is aware of the psychic sound of a needle scraped across a record.(9) He saw an opening last Christmas, when her housekeeper was looking about for a needle and thread to fix a hole in Wilson's sweater.(10) At another conference earlier this month, she wore an acupuncture needle in the top of her ear.(11) Drunk off the champagne, Ronan leaned in to give Rue a kiss, and surely would have if Hector had not pulled the needle off of the record, making an intolerable screeching sound.(12) It could be like trying to thread a needle on a bucking bronco.(13) They are something I, as a member of Parliament, have been on about, to the point of being like a needle in a cracked record, for many, many years.(14) As the shot is made, the effects man, who has in front of him a copy of the cable message, drops the needle on an effects record and listeners hear the applause of the crowd as the shot reaches the boundary.(15) I put the needle down on three records that never fail to change my mood.(16) But in magnets, like a compass needle , more of the domains are lined up in the same direction, and so the material has an overall magnetic field.
(1) knitting needle :: breinaald
(2) needle valve :: naald klep
(3) hypodermic needle :: spuitnaald
(4) needle in a haystack :: naald in 'n hooimied
(5) needle and thread :: naald en garing
(6) sewing needle :: naald
(7) needle bearing :: naald draende
(8) the needle :: die naald
(9) thread the needle :: ryg die naald
(10) compass needle :: kompasnaald
1. bodkin ::
2. hypodermic needle ::
3. indicator ::
4. stylus ::
5. goad ::
needle, needled, needles, needling
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
or have me sit on a poisoned NEEDLE
or something, you know?
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 12
and your Needle.
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 10
If you'd let me pierce your brain
with a hot NEEDLE in the right place...
The Big Bang Theory Season 6, Episode 19
My sword Needle.
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 1
I've got a NEEDLE of my own.
Game of Thrones Season 1, Episode 2
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: needle
Meaning and definitions of needle, translation in Afrikaans language for needle with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of needle in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "needle"
What needle means in Afrikaans, needle meaning in Afrikaans, needle definition, examples and pronunciation of needle in Afrikaans language.