Noun(1) the state of an engine or other mechanism that is idling
Verb(1) run disconnected or idle(2) be idle; exist in a changeless situation
Adjective(1) not in action or at work(2) without a basis in reason or fact(3) not in active use(4) silly or trivial(5) lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility(6) not yielding a return(7) not having a job
(1) Only fifteen women, a smaller percentage than that of men, reported that they were idle or had no occupation.(2) Again it is convenient to think that these are just idle threats and that the lives of lawyers are not at risk.(3) But the audience is thinning these days and Yadagiri says he is idle more than six months a year.(4) In an idle moment I went into one of the shops and let the staff demonstrate the miracle to me.(5) As an early principal she was scarcely idle , and that was the way she wanted it.(6) Power-management systems that put idle machines and monitors to sleep have also had an effect.(7) The unit in Castlebar is currently standing idle .(8) Alternatively, it can be switched on when the engine is idle , to heat the car interior.(9) The larger of the two, Arlen, comes across as an insecure bully, flaunting his juvenile snake tattoo and badgering Muldrow with idle threats.(10) In the case of part-time employees, machinery in the respondent's clothing factory laid idle .(11) But establishing aviation records was one thing - an idle factory was another.(12) Not one to rest idle , the success of Fat Bastard has inspired Guy Anderson to take his concept to Spain.(13) These students, bored and idle , may turn to making trouble to gain attention and keep interested in what's happening around them.(14) Give an imaginative type an idle moment and suddenly everyone's some strange offshoot of the human race.(15) In this way, I can use the few idle moments when my computer is printing or saving a file to memorize a correspondence or two.(16) The machines are sitting idle with the ground so wet they cannot work.
(1) idle time :: ledige tyd
(2) idle talk :: idle talk
(3) idle gossip :: idle skinder
(4) idle away :: idle weg
(5) idle capacity :: idle kapasiteit
(6) idle chatter :: idle chatter
(7) idle current :: idle huidige
(8) idle hours :: idle uur
(9) bone-idle :: been-idle
1. lazy ::
2. unemployed ::
3. inactive ::
4. unoccupied ::
5. frivolous ::
6. empty ::
7. dead ::
8. wild ::
9. light ::
10. jobless ::
11. unused ::
12. loose ::
14. run in neutral ::
hardloop in neutrale
15. tick over ::
16. slug ::
1. active ::
2. alive ::
3. busy ::
4. going ::
5. living ::
6. on ::
7. running ::
8. working ::
idle, idled, idleness, idles, idling
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
Have you ever known your father
to make an IDLE threat?
Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 2
Strategy to not let it IDLE too low.
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 8
See, all you lot live
IDLE and wasted lives.
Vikings Season 1, Episode 2
My father does not make IDLE threats.
Game of Thrones Season 3, Episode 2
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: idle
Meaning and definitions of idle, translation in Afrikaans language for idle with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of idle in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "idle"
What idle means in Afrikaans, idle meaning in Afrikaans, idle definition, examples and pronunciation of idle in Afrikaans language.