Noun(1) the state of being unsure of something(2) uncertainty about the truth or factuality or existence of something
Verb(1) consider unlikely or have doubts about(2) lack confidence in or have doubts about
(1) He said he would question the validity of parts of that opinion and would bring fresh evidence which cast doubt on the conviction.(2) I have no reason to doubt him in the general sense.(3) I was beginning to doubt(4) he tried to cast doubt on her loyalty(5) We will even defend those who may not be innocent, but who have raised reasonable prospects of doubt about their conviction.(6) It was hoped that the weight of celestial opinion would undermine his authority and cause him to doubt his own decision-making ability.(7) I doubt that many will turn up(8) The approach appears to be one of instilling fear, uncertainty and doubt in those who apply for rebates to which they are entitled.(9) I fell victim to a sudden flash of doubt at my conviction that the Force didn't really exist.(10) Coupling feelings of doubt with low self-esteem leads to very dire consequences.(11) there's no doubt about it(12) I doubt my ability to do the job(13) You are better informed than me on this case and I have no reason to doubt you.(14) He is aware that many people doubt him, and he wants to know what his critics are saying in the UK.(15) Not there is any reason to doubt her; she takes care of the place with an impressive thoroughness.(16) When he looked up at her, his eyes seemed filled with doubt and uncertainty.
(1) no doubt :: geen twyfel
(2) without a doubt :: sonder twyfel
(3) without doubt :: sonder twyfel
(4) no doubt about it :: geen twyfel daaroor nie
(5) to doubt :: om te twyfel
(6) in doubt :: in twyfel
(7) beyond doubt :: bo alle twyfel
(8) without any doubt :: sonder enige twyfel
(9) benefit of the doubt :: voordeel van die twyfel
1. uncertainty ::
2. indecision ::
3. skepticism ::
5. disbelieve ::
7. be undecided ::
1. trust ::
doubt, doubted, doubter, doubters, doubting, doubts
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
and nothing I have witnessed
gives me reason to DOUBT him.
Game of Thrones Season 5, Episode 8
I DOUBT it was like this one.
I mean, he's a genius.
The Big Bang Theory Season 9, Episode 8
She's lonely, he needs a place to stay.
I DOUBT there's any funny business going on.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 1
I DOUBT it.
The Big Bang Theory Season 8, Episode 19
I highly DOUBT
there is any argument you can make...
The Big Bang Theory Season 3, Episode 12
English to Afrikaans Dictionary: doubt
Meaning and definitions of doubt, translation in Afrikaans language for doubt with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of doubt in Afrikaans and in English language.
Tags for the entry "doubt"
What doubt means in Afrikaans, doubt meaning in Afrikaans, doubt definition, examples and pronunciation of doubt in Afrikaans language.